Babies falling asleep while breastfeeding is a normal situation. So how do babies burp when they sleep? Here is the answer…
Burp a nursing babyRegardless of breastfeeding or bottle feeding, the situation where the baby falls asleep during the feeding process is normal.
When the stomach feels full, the baby will be more relaxed and the milk suction will slow down. The effect? The baby will fall asleep.
This situation is more likely to occur at night when the desire for the baby to fall asleep is high.
Although the little one seems to be sleeping, some babies, need to burp to get wind before going to sleep.
The process and way of burping a baby while sleeping is the same as a baby who is still awake. It's just that you may need to slow down so they don't wake up.
How to burp baby while sleepingHere are some suitable positions to help babies fall asleep burping, namely:
1. In the middle of the breastfeeding processA sleepy baby will tend to suck milk a lot. You can help to burp the child to avoid the presence of gas.
Try to burp the child when you change the breast for the feeding process.
For bottle-fed babies, stop the feeding process for a while before the milk runs out to burp them.
It not only helps to provide more space for the milk but it also prevents the occurrence of milk vomiting.
2. Put on the shoulderThis position is suitable for the way the baby burps when sleeping soundly. Mothers can also use this method to wake up the baby, continuing the breastfeeding process. How to:
- Rest the baby's upper chest on your shoulder. Place one hand under their back for support.
- Make sure the child's head is above the shoulder.
- Gently pat the baby's back
- If gentle patting doesn't work to get the baby to burp, try rubbing the palm of your hand on the back in a circular motion
3. Leaning on the chestPlacing the baby on the chest can provide more comfort. This position also helps keep the baby asleep after breastfeeding.
- Slowly, move the baby to the chest. Make sure one hand is behind the baby's body, while the other hand supports the baby's back
- Avoid stretching the baby's legs. Leave their body in a curved position
- Rub in a circular motion using the hands behind the baby's body
- If it doesn't work to make the little one burp, do a gentle pat between their shoulders
4. Lying in the armsThis baby burping position is suitable for small babies.
- Place one arm on the baby's back. This allows them to rest on your arm
- The baby may already be in this position during the breastfeeding process
- Slowly, move the baby to lie down on the other side of the arm. Make sure the position of the baby's head is at the end of the elbow
- Determine the position of the baby in a balanced state
- Gently rub or pat the back of the child's body
- When the baby has burped, move the baby to return to the lying position to continue the process of feeding or sleeping.
5. Lap positionIf you are already in a sitting position when breastfeeding your baby, this lap position is suitable to ensure that the baby falls asleep and does not wake up when you try to burp them.
- Slowly, turn the baby's body so that its stomach can be guided and rested on your thigh
- Put one hand to support the chin and chest of the little one. This action is also to ensure that the baby's head is slightly lifted from the body
- Use the other hand to pat or rub in circles on the back of the child's body
- Once you've successfully burped the baby, move them back to a lying position
Period for baby burpingGenerally, it only takes between 1 and 2 minutes to make a baby burp. There are times when the baby may burp when you reposition the baby.
Another method that helps to burp babies who often fall asleep while breastfeeding is to stop the breastfeeding process. Do it when they look sleepy.
Try to burp them before putting them to bed.
The importance of burping babiesYou may think baby burping isn't important, but it can actually help the baby feel comfortable and prevent colic.
Even if the baby falls asleep while breastfeeding, you are advised to still help them burp so that they can sleep more soundly.